Dehradun has a rich history.
In Skanda Purana, Doon is specified as a part of the area called Kedar Khand, the dwelling place Shiva. There is an immediate reference to the valley in the epic Mahabharata.
The Pandavas and Kauravas had their military training here under Acharya Dron who had his military foundation in the Doon Valley. “Doon” implies valley in the Sanskrit dialect. The spot was called “Dron Doon” after him. The present day Indian Military Academy’s formal entryway is named “Dron Dwar” after the immense Guru.
After the Mahabharat time , the following notice of Doon is amid the Maurayan period (321-184 B.C.). The capital town in those days was Kalkut (present day Kalsi).
Sovereign Ashok introduced one of his stone orders at Kalsi. It was found in 1860 A.D. by an Englishman, Mr. Woodland. The stone engraving is the most punctual substantial proof of the historical backdrop of Dehradun.
Generally, Dehradun has remained part of the Garhwal Kingdom otherwise called Kedar Khand. ‘Kedarkhand’, was established by Ajai Pal, around 1400, by catching all the minor territories of the Garhwal district, under his own influence, and from there on, he and his relatives ruled over Garhwal and the contiguous condition of Tehri-Garhwal in a continuous line till 1803, when Gurkhas attacked Kumaon and Garhwal. Katyuris of Garhwal were the starting leaders of this district. Later, this fortress of the Katyuri tradition went under the control of the Sikhs and Mughals.
The historical backdrop of Dehradun uncovers that Aurangzeb had exiled Sikh Guru Ram Rai, the senior child of seventh Sikh Guru, Guru Har Rai, who was a piece of the Udasi group of Sikh Asceticism to the wild of Doon in 1675. Ram Rai set up camp in the present Khurbura region. In 1699, he built a Gurudwara called ‘Master Ram Rai Darbar’, with the assistance of Raja of Garhwal, Fateh Shah and raised his banner there. The Gurudwara was displayed on the tomb of Mughal Emperor Jehangir . Till this day a huge reasonable is held here consistently in the month of March/April on the 6th day after Holi and a banner (Jhanda) spread out at the Jhanda Chowk.
Dehra town grew up around these two locales where Ram Rai settled. Dehra appears a defilement of ‘dera’, an impermanent homestead. “Dun” means the swamps at the foot of a mountain range, and since the vast majority of the region lies in such a territory, it legitimizes the dun part of the name.
The Gurkhas of Nepal ruled for a long time till the British came. In April 1815, the Gurkhas were expelled and Garhwal added by the British. Taking after a war between the Gurkhas and the British, the Treaty of Sugauli was marked in 1816. With this, the British set up their hold over the whole Garhwal and Kumaon locales including Dehradun. Dehradun served as a British armed force base and instructive focus after 1815. Tea manors in Dehradun, initially began by Britons in 1863 are still operational albeit a considerable lot of Dehradun’s tea takes like Sirmour, Banjarawala and Kargi are quick getting changed over into private settlements.
The year 1900 is a point of interest year in Dehradun’s history. This was the year in which the main train from Haridwar came to Dehradun Railway Station. Along these lines started the procedure of making the valley more available for whatever remains of India, and especially the British.
1900 was a noteworthy year likewise in light of the fact that it saw the abolishment of the District Postal System as now Dehradun went under the umbrella of the All India Postal Network set up by the then British government. The valley’s first radio station, as well, got to be utilitarian in this year in the Kutchery Compound through steady endeavors of the then District Magistrate A.J.K. Praise. Later this station was shut down once nationalization of radio TV occurred amid World War I.
Another historic point year for Doon was 1901, when phone chimes started ringing in the valley. Yet, TV needed to hold up till the year 1975 when the Mussoorie TV Tower was manufactured. In 1901, Dehradun had a populace of 24,039, while the neighboring town of Rajpur, which lay in transit to the slope station of Mussoorie, and from where immaculate drinking water was supplied to the city through funnels, had a populace of 2,900. By the start of the twentieth century, Doon had ended up well known for its five C’s – Chobe (timber), Chuna (limestone), Chawal (basmati rice), Chai (tea) and Chestnuts.
Fortress The twentieth century likewise saw the development of a motorable street to Dehradun. It was in 1920 that the main auto, a Ford T model was driven up to Kulri by means of Jharipani by Col E.W. Chime, child in-law of Swetenhams and proprietor of the Clouds End Estate. The present Mussoorie Road was fabricated uptil Bhatta by 1930, King Craig by 1936, and after freedom in 1954 it achieved Library and in 1957 it achieved Picture Palace.
The economy of the valley was essentially rural and was given a traveler help by the visit of the Indian sovereigns and the British amid summers and so forth. It was just with the happening to power, in the year 1909, when the main globule was lit on May 24, 1909, at Mussoorie, and in Doon in 1918, that the economy experienced a change.
rimc logo The start of the twentieth century saw the setting up of numerous national level establishments in the valley. In 1901, adjoining the Garhi Village in Dehradun Cantonment, the then Viceroy Lord Curzon set up the Imperial Cadet Core to confer military preparing to Princes and those of aristrocatic foundation. In 1922, the Prince of Wales Royal Indian Military College (RIMC), now Rashtriya Indian Military College, was begun at the same grounds. It was introduced on thirteenth March 1922 by his Royal Highness, Prince Edward VIII, the Prince of Wales. Amid his location to the initial thirty-seven cadets he said, “It is the initial few blows on the iron block of the life that give the human weapon the set and temper that bring him through life’s fights”. The RIMC has a sprawling grounds of 138 sections of land with a significant number of legacy structures in Tudor Style, some almost a hundred years of age.
woodland research organization In 1906 the Forest Research Institute was begun at Chandbagh Estate where the Doon School is currently found. In 1930, the Railway Staff College was set up in the present Chetwode working of IMA. The school shut down inside of a year or so because of monetary constraints.This grounds was later (in 1932) chose for the foundation of the Indian Military Academy.
The following towering foundation to be set up in the valley that changed its exceptionally financial fabric was the ONGC. The greater part of the real schools and universities in the valley were set up in the twentieth century, however ministers had begun opening schools in the valley in the 1850s. One of the principal schools to be set up was St George’s College, Barlowganj. American Presbyterian Mission Boys High School and Dehra Christian Girls’ Boarding School (CNI) are the two early schools that were set up in 1853 and have a notoriety even today.